Monday, February 8, 2010

SPOT – Toy or Tool?


By Jon Kitchen

I have been using a SPOT satellite messenger since about 48-hours after I first heard of it two years ago. Dan told me that he had learned of the device through a magazine article. By Googling “SPOT”, I found that it was a low cost device with a reasonable annual service fee. After purchasing the SPOT ($150) at my local West Marine and a quick call to SPOT Customer Service to purchase the annual service ($100), I was up and running.

There are three types of custom (pre-programmed) messages, along with my actual coordinates, which I can send to any phone, texting device, or e-mail address. The OK message is sent one time by pressing the OK button on the unit. The HELP (friends) message is sent once every 5 minutes for 1 hour or 12 times. The 9-1-1 message is sent every five minutes, or until cancelled, to the GEOS International 9-1-1 Emergency Response Center, where it is relayed to the appropriate emergency response team.

My initial OK message (maximum 115 characters) was “SPOT TEST” from the office in my house. The e-mail had an embedded Google map, which showed my location within a few feet. Due to the time of year, my next test would be “Gobbler Hunting” in the mountains of Central Pennsylvania. I was amazed at the accuracy of the test location along the rim of a mountain. The Google map allowed me to zoom in on the satellite picture to the rock formation, where I was sitting during the test. I then customized the offshore OK message to say (date) HOOKED-UP (location) , for example, “9/15/2009 HOOKED-UP TEA CUP.”

Below is my last actual OK message, but do not tell anyone, since I missed the gaff stick and we lost the only tuna of the weekend. You should recognize this location from Google Maps as south of the Point.

Jon
Latitude:35.42692
Longitude:-74.85545
GPS location Date/Time:01/15/2010 14:46:55 EST
Click the link below to see where I am located. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=35.42692,-74.85545&ll=35.42692,-74.85545&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
Message:1/15 Hooked up on tuna from Oregon Inlet.

My initial HELP message (maximum 115 characters) was attempted before I read the manual. I chose to use it to tell my wife how many tuna we were catching at the Lindenkohl. Little did I know that when we hooked the first yellowfin, I would hit the HELP message, which I had changed to say “HOOKED-UP TUNA,” and it would continue to send the same message 12 times. My wife was quite disappointed when we came home with only 3 tuna. I have not found a practical use for this message, since most of my SPOT usage is well offshore. The buddies on my message list, who could come to my rescue, would likely be on the water and too far offshore to get text messages on their phones.

As with most satellite devices, my 9-1-1 message has never been tested, … nor has my flare gun, … nor has my fire extinguisher for that matter. I can tell you that my location appears to be very accurate when sent from the same device using the other two messages. I can also tell you that although SPOT quotes five to 20 minutes to send the messages, my latest test was sent to my e-mail account in under three minutes. I have no reason to believe that this unit would not react exactly the same way no matter which message type I sent.

I was worried about what to say in my 9-1-1 message. So last spring, after flounder fishing in Wachapreague, Virginia, I stopped into the Coast Guard Station. I demonstrated the SPOT unit and described the escalation process, as I understood he SPOT manual. I then asked the officer on duty what Coast Guard personnel might want to know in the event of an actual emergency. We agree on the following sample test:

9-1-1 : 1/15/2010 Running from Oregon Inlet, NC to the Point, trolling south, returning to Oregon Inlet, NC. Four fisherman aboard the SEA YA BEA, white 35’ Cabo.

Initially I bought the SPOT because it was a cheaper alternative than the other products on the market. After two years of use, I have learned that it is not a toy. It has been reliable, accurate, dependable, and tested in a variety of situations, to provide peace of mind for my family and I. Now, I am not suggesting that you leave any other safety equipment home and rely only on the SPOT. What I am saying is,... SPOT is a real tool to keep in your (ditch) bag of tricks.

1 comment: