Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pretty Much a Routine Day with the Marlin--Right! Count Them: 15!


By Jim Field

A few summers ago the Okoniewskis and Fields--men only, so Fran (Jr.) and Jack, Dan, and then Andrew and me--were working our way north from a fishing trip in Hatteras Village when we stopped at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center to check things out. (As a rule, we never pass by OIFC without stopping.) The date was August 1, 2008; the weather was sunny and warm; and the boats had come in from a day of fishing perhaps an hour before our arrival. Working our eyes up and down the twin rows of charter boats, we spotted a vertical blue chain of flags flying--catch and release flags for marlin. Amazing.

We walked to the boat and chatted with the mates. No big deal for them, really, just had a "good day." Of course, from my perspective, if I hook up and release that many marlin by the time I'm sixty, it will have been a "good" sportfishing career! I suppose it's what you know, and what you're used to. For me, that translates into knowing too liitle, and expecting too much. That said, I'm looking forward to hooking into multiple marlins this summer. Can't wait! It will happen.

Andrew, Fran (Jr.), and Jack in front of the boat. (Proves we didn't fake picture on a computer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment