Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Good Samaritan and the Reef Donkey

By Jon Kitchen (shown in squat position)

While visiting the Cabelas store in Hamburg, PA, early in 2009, I ran into a Good Samaritan in the fishing isle, actually in every fishing isle. Joe, from central PA, made the clockwise trip around every isle, while I made the counter-clockwise trip. For three hours we ran into each other talking on each meeting (his spouse was a great sport). We talked about how we both ran little center consoles to the canyons from Delaware and New Jersey.

Joe was very excited to tell me about his new jigging success during the 2008 season. He also told me about the great deal that he found in one of the rod isles. He had located a heavy-duty Shimano Trevala jigging rod with 80-200 # line rating at a great discounted price that he would add to his collection of jigging rods. Since I was also looking to purchase my first jigging rod, he and I spent some time trying to find another discounted rod among the full-prices selection. Joe saw the dissappointment on my face once we had come to the end of the last isle without finding another discounted rod. I thanked him for his stories, his help, and we parted ways once again.

While locating my final selections for the day, I recieve a tap on the shoulder. Joe had rushed back from the register to find me still in the fishing isles. Joe handed me the discounted rod and told me that I would get to use it in Hatteras, N.C. before he could get out fishing in New Jersey. He was willing to share his good luck and good fun with me. He certainly fit my definition of a Good Samaritan. I purchased the new rod and celebrated on the three hour ride back to my home in Lewes, DE.

On May 30, 2009, I finally got an opportunity to use my new jigging rod. Jim, Dan, Fran, and I left from Teach's Lair early that morning to "Catch Fish" (code meaning to bottom fish). We hit the first wreck to find it glowing with marks on the fish finder. Before I could even wet a line I saw hundreds of shadows surrounding the boat. Dan yelled, "Reef Donkeys!" Before he could explain what a Reef Donkey was, I was landing the amberjack for him. I snapped a picture and Dan tossed him back. I grabbed my rod with a butterfly jig and tried to mimmic what Dan had just done. The first retrieve resulted in no action. Dan asked how I could have possibly gotten a jig down through and back up passed all of those fish. On my second drop, I experienced the reef rodeo. I could not believe the fight in that amberjack.

Thanks, Joe, for your act of kindness towards another fishing brother. By the way, my PC crashed and I lost all e-mail addresses late last summer. Drop a line to let me know how you like the new boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment