Sunday, December 26, 2010

Washington State: Alderbrook, Bremerton, Puget Sound, Seattle, Pike Place Fish Market. Part II


By Jim Field

After departing the ferry (see post immediately below, Part I), I drove to Pike Place Market to eat lunch at a favorite place and walk through the long line of vendor/product stalls--which include the famous fish stalls. If you've never been to this market, you MUST go--it's one of the most remarkable places on earth, particularly if you like to look at and eat seafood. But first things first: I was famished and headed straight for the Market Grill, a hole-in-the-wall joint, right off the main walkway, where I visit/eat every time I travel to Seattle, no exceptions. What this place offers is uncomplicated: grilled wild salmon, halibut, shrimp, or chicken, presented as a platter or sandwich; clam chowder; and a beverage of choice. I typically order the chowder, a salmon platter, which comes with rice, diced tomatoes, and garlic bread, and then a side order of the grilled halibut. Given that the fish is fresh, one can imagine how good their food is--simply delicious. After eating a ton, I walked to the fish stalls and photographed the incredible variety of fish, shellfish, and other goodies from the sea that are offered--at prices about half of what we pay on the East Coast. Notably, other vendors sell exquisite fruits, vegetables, flowers, and then a vast assortment of other beautiful things, such as local honey, carved wooden objectives, jewelry, pottery, knitted clothing, etc. If only this place was right down my street...

One of my favorite places to eat, anywhere


The owner and chef (never seen anyone else grilling in 10+ years)


Part of my lunch order: the grilled wild salmon platter


Alaskan wild sockeye salmon and halibut fillets


Dungeness crabs lined up all in a row


Next up: king crab legs


Whole Alaskan halibut in ice chips


Wild salmon waiting patiently for a buyer


A view of the meat


Smoked salmon of every type, also jerky (I sampled a lot of this)


Fruit and vegetables...as far as one can see


Unbelievably beautiful (and edible) chili ornaments


You can't imagine the abundance of gorgeous flowers


Flowers, and more flowers...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this. I have been researching online for some fun places to go in Washington state because I am going to be visiting there for the very first time. This looks like one of the many places that I should consider in my trip.

    ReplyDelete