Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Potential World Record Yellowfin Tuna Landed in San Diego


By Jim Field

Here's an interesting piece that appeared today on the Marlin Magazine website. Must be an incredible experience to be trolling a sardine using a Penn 30 and 9/0 hook (shown at left) and attach oneself to such a monster--and then actually bring it onboard. Surely not good to eat, but an excellent trophy. Here's the story:

Angler Mike Livingston brought a 405.2-pound yellowfin tuna to the dock Monday [December 6] in San Diego that could qualify as a new world record. The existing record-holder is a 388-pounder caught in Mexico in 1977. The fish was caught west of Magdalena Bay aboard the long-range charter Vagabond on November 30 and cheers went up as it was weighed on Point Loma Sportfishing's certified scales almost a week later. Livingston was fishing with Capt. Mike Lackey.

"I got him on a sardine," Livinsgtson told Bill Roecker of Fishingvideos.com, "and a 9/0 Owner Super Mutu hook. I used 100-pound Soft Steel Ultra line and 100-pound Power Pro Spectra on my Penn 30 reel, which was a gift from a buddy and was blueprinted by Cal Sheets. I custom-wrapped the rod myself, It's a five and a half-footer, a no-name. After all those years, since 1974, I've been out fishing on many boats, and I get this one on a no-name rod! My best one before was about a 100-pounder."


No comments:

Post a Comment