Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Remembering Hemingway: Journal Entry #1



By Jim Field

Ernest Hemingway was--and remains--a true giant in the world of sportfishing. He was fishing for big fish off Florida and Cuba when only a handful of people had heard about it, considered it possible, or could conceive of themselves actually trying it. E.H. was a founding father of the IGFA, himself defining the early rules of the sport. He was a pioneer of tackle and fishing techniques. He was an astute observer of fish behaviors and the oceans. Early on, he set and held multiple world titles for largest fish caught.

As a boy I admired Hemingway for the man and writer he was. Studying his life, I decided that one day I would take up this sport. It took 40 years to bring this dream to fruition, but I owe my entry into deep sea fishing to him.

In future postings, I want to bring this man to life for readers. Most of today's fishermen know nothing about E.H. and his foundational contributions to this sport, and they're worse off for not appreciating him. He was a true stud, someone I'd give anything in return for a day fishing the gulf stream with him. Let me think a bit about what the next post, Journal Entry #2, will cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment